TMJ treatment from your dentists in Milford, MA, can help you feel better.
Jaw pain can make you miserable, and it often can radiate into other areas of your face or neck. Fortunately, your dentist can help relieve jaw pain, so you can get back to enjoying your life.
Dr. Peyman Beigi and Dr. Nina Raeisian at Milford Dental Group provide a wide range of dental services, including TMJ treatment in Milford, MA, to relieve jaw pain. Jaw pain can be caused by frequently grinding and clenching your teeth. The grinding action can lead to inflammation and damage to the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ.
The TMJ is an important joint that works to open and close your jaws. It has a unique sliding motion, which can cause the joint to become displaced, causing friction as the joint moves. The friction causes irritation, inflammation, and jaw pain.
So, how do you know if you have TMJ issues? You might experience:
- Aching and radiating facial pain
- Aching pain around your ear
- Jaw pain that doesn’t resolve
- Difficulty or pain while chewing
- Popping, clicking, or locking when you open and close your mouth
For mild jaw pain or TMJ problems, diet modification can help. It’s important to eat a diet of soft foods and avoid biting down on hard foods. In addition, you can try:
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Applying ice packs and heat several times each day
For moderate to severe jaw pain or TMJ symptoms, your dentist can help. Common treatments for jaw pain and TMJ include:
- Wearing a night splint or nightguard while you sleep
- Botox injections into the jaw muscles
- Corticosteroid injections into the TMJ
- Flushing the TMJ (lavage)
- Prescription muscle relaxants and pain medication
- Physical therapy including jaw stretching
- Application of ice and moist heat
You can get relief from jaw pain with just a simple phone call. To learn more about TMJ treatment in Milford, MA, and how it can relieve jaw pain, talk with the experts. Call Dr. Peyman Beigi and Dr. Nina Raeisian of Milford Dental Group at (508) 966-7923 today!